21st Century Car Insurance may not be the ideal choice for everyone due to its limitations. It’s only available in California, offers limited optional features, and has a high number of customer complaints.
In 1958, a person named Louis W. Foster started a company called 21st Century Insurance, which was first called 20th Century Insurance. Their goal was to provide car insurance to people in California.
Foster was smart and different because he sold insurance directly to drivers, like talking on the phone or sending letters, especially to those who drove safely. He thought this would make insurance cheaper.
In 2009, another company called Farmers Insurance bought 21st Century Car Insurance.
21st Century Car Insurance Coverage
Similar to other best car insurance companies, 21st Century car Insurance provides regular types of coverage options for you car like:
Imagine you’re in a situation where you’re legally responsible for a car accident that harmed someone else or damaged their property. In this case, liability insurance steps in to cover the costs that result from the accident. This can include things like medical bills, repairs to the damaged car, and even legal fees if the injured person decides to take you to court. In places like California and most other states, having liability insurance is a legal requirement for driving.
If you have a car crash with another car and your car gets broken or destroyed, collision coverage will pay to fix it or get you a new one. It doesn’t matter who caused the accident; this coverage helps you out.
If something happens to your car that’s not from hitting another car, comprehensive coverage can help. It pays for fixing your car or getting a new one. This includes things like vandalism, fires, hail, floods, or natural disasters like tornadoes. It also covers hitting animals or if your car gets stolen.
Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage
This coverage takes care of your medical bills if you’re in an accident caused by a driver who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the costs. In California, you don’t have to get this coverage—it’s up to you if you want it or not.
In California, there’s something called “uninsured motorist property damage” coverage, or UMPD. It helps pay for fixing or repairing your car if it’s damaged by a driver who has insurance. However, there are some rules:
- The most UMPD will cover in California is $3,500.
- You have to know who the uninsured driver is for UMPD to work. So, if someone hits your car and runs away, UMPD won’t help. In that case, you can use your collision coverage instead.
Additional coverage in 21st Century Car Insurance
If you have a policy with 21st Century car Insurance, they give you something called “roadside assistance” for free. This means they’ll help you 24/7 if you have problems with your car, like if it needs to be towed or if you accidentally lock yourself out of it.
If your car can’t be driven because of an accident that your policy covers, this coverage helps you with the cost of renting a car or other transportation. They’ll give you money each day, up to a certain amount, and there’s also a maximum total amount they’ll pay.
Antique car insurance
Apart from regular car insurance, 21st Century Insurance also offers insurance for antique or classic cars. But, for your classic car to qualify, it needs to meet certain conditions:
- Age: The car must be older than 19 years.
- Condition: It should be in good shape and well-maintained.
- Storage: You must keep it in a fully enclosed and locked garage when it’s not on the road.
If you ever need an SR-22 insurance form, 21st Century car Insurance can handle it for you. An SR-22 is a special form that your insurance company sends to your state. It shows that you have the minimum required car insurance according to your state’s rules.
21st Century Car Insurance Discounts
21st Century car Insurance wants to help drivers save money on their insurance. They have a bunch of discounts you can get:
- Good driver discount: If you drive well and don’t have accidents or tickets for three years, you get a discount.
- Superior driver discount: If you keep driving well for more than three years, you can save even more.
- Mature driver discount: If you’re over 55 and take a special driving class, you can get a discount.
- Good student discount: If you’re a high school or college student under 25 with good grades (a “B” average or better), you can save.
- Multi-car discount: If you insure more than one car with 21st Century, they’ll give you a discount.
- Anti-theft discount: If your car has anti-theft stuff, your insurance costs less.
- Paperless & autopay discount: If you get your insurance documents electronically and pay automatically, you can get a discount.
21st Century Car Insurance Pros and Cons
21st Century Car Insurance provides several benefits and features for its policyholders:
- SR-22 Insurance Filings: If you need an SR-22 form, they can take care of it for you, ensuring you meet your state’s minimum car insurance requirements.
- Free Roadside Assistance: As a policyholder, you get access to 24/7 roadside assistance at no extra cost. This service includes help with towing and lock-outs.
- Classic and Antique Car Insurance: 21st Century offers insurance specifically designed for classic and antique cars, provided they meet certain requirements like age and storage conditions.
- Refer a Friend Program: They have a program where you can earn $25 gift cards by referring friends and family to 21st Century Car Insurance. It’s a way to benefit from sharing their services with others.
Here are some important points to consider about 21st Century Car Insurance:
- Limited Availability: 21st Century Car Insurance is only available to drivers in California. It may not be an option if you live outside of California.
- High Complaint Volume: This insurance company has received a significant number of complaints to state insurance departments, especially regarding how they handle claims. This could be a concern for potential customers.
- Lack of Optional Perks: 21st Century Car Insurance does not offer certain optional benefits like vanishing deductible or accident forgiveness, which some other insurers may provide for added protection and cost savings.
- No Gap Insurance: They do not offer gap insurance, which can be important if you owe more on your car loan than your car is worth.
- No Rideshare Insurance: If you work as a rideshare driver for companies like Uber or Lyft, 21st Century Car Insurance does not offer specialized coverage for this, which could be a drawback if you’re a rideshare driver.
Before choosing any car insurance provider, it’s essential to carefully read the latest review their offerings and consider your specific needs and preferences to ensure you’re getting the coverage that suits you best.
Customer Complaints against 21st Century Car Insurance
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has gathered data about complaints against 21st Century Insurance, and it shows that they have a significantly higher number of complaints compared to other Car insurance companies.
On average, the industry has a complaint score of 1.0. A score lower than 1.0 means a company has fewer complaints than the industry average. However, 21st Century’s score is 2.22, which is nearly double the industry average. Most of the complaints were related to delays in paying claims and unsatisfactory settlements and offers.
This high level of complaints has been consistent for the past three years, based on the available data. Because of this, it’s a good idea to explore other auto insurance companies to find one with a better track record in customer satisfaction.
What types of auto insurance policies does 21st Century Insurance offer?
21st Century offers a range of auto insurance policies, including liability insurance, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and more.
How can I get a quote for 21st Century Car Insurance?
You can getting a free quotes for 21st Century Car Insurance by visiting their website or contacting their customer service.
Is 21st Century Car Insurance available nationwide?
21st Century Car Insurance operates only in California.