When you drive a car on road you want to make sure you’re protected in case something unexpected happens. That’s mean you must have insurance for your vehicle. One type of car insurance is most popular that is comprehensive insurance.
In this article, we’ll complete explain what is comprehensive insurance, what it covers, how it differs from collision insurance, how much it costs, and its advantages and disadvantages.
What Is Comprehensive Insurance?
Comprehensive insurance is a type of car insurance that provides the coverage for damages to your vehicle that are not caused by a collision with another car. Its also called “comp” insurance or “other than collision” insurance because it covers a wide range of non-collision incidents. These incidents can include things like theft, vandalism, natural disasters, and falling objects.
What Comprehensive Insurance Covers
Comprehensive insurance covers a variety of situations, including:
- Theft: If your car is stolen, comprehensive insurance can help cover the cost of replacing it.
- Vandalism: If your vehicle is vandalized with graffiti or other damage, comprehensive insurance can pay for repairs.
- Natural Disasters: Comprehensive insurance covers damage from events like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and floods.
- Falling Objects: If a tree branch, hail, or other objects fall on your car and cause damage, comprehensive insurance can help with the repairs.
- Animal Collisions: If you hit an animal like a deer, comprehensive insurance can cover the damage to your car.
- Glass Damage: Comprehensive insurance typically covers windshield and glass damage.
Remember that comprehensive insurance does not cover the damage caused by a collision with another vehicle.
Comprehensive Insurance vs. Collision Insurance
While comprehensive insurance covers non-collision incidents on the other hand collision insurance specifically covers damage caused by colliding with another vehicle or object. These two types of insurance you can buy separately or together, depending on your needs and budget.
Comprehensive insurance protects you from theft, natural disasters, and other non-collision events and other side the collision insurance helps with the cost of repairs if you collide with something, such as another car or a pole.
Cost of Comprehensive Insurance
The cost of comprehensive insurance are depending on many factors, including your location, Credit score, Age, driving history and the deductible you choose. Generally, comprehensive insurance tends to be more affordable than collision insurance because it covers a wider range of incidents.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Comprehensive Insurance
- Broad Coverage: Comprehensive insurance provides coverage for a wide range of non-collision incidents, offering peace of mind in various situations.
- Value Protection: If you have a valuable car, comprehensive insurance can help protect your investment from unexpected events.
- Cost: While comprehensive insurance is generally less expensive than collision insurance, it still adds to your overall insurance costs.
- Deductible: You’ll have to pay a deductible before your comprehensive insurance kicks in, which can be an out-of-pocket expense.
Is comprehensive insurance required by law?
Comprehensive insurance is not required by law. However, if you have a car loan or lease, your lender may require you to have comprehensive coverage until the loan is paid off.
Can I choose my deductible for comprehensive insurance?
Yes, you can choose your deductible amount when buying comprehensive insurance. A higher deductible often results in lower premium costs, but you’ll pay more out of pocket if you make a claim.
Is comprehensive insurance worth it for an older car?
It depends on the value of your older car. If the cost of comprehensive insurance exceeds the value of your vehicle, it may not be worth it. You can consider dropping it for older cars.
Comprehensive insurance is a valuable type of coverage that can protect your car from various non-collision incidents. It’s important to weigh the advantages and disadvantages, consider your car’s value, and choose a deductible that suits your budget. If you want all-around protection for your vehicle then comprehensive insurance is worth considering.