In the end of 2019, American Family Insurance bought a company called Ameriprise Auto & Home in Wisconsin. In 2020, they changed the name to ‘Connect’. Before this, Ameriprise Auto & Home worked with Costco to sell home and auto insurance. Now, American Family still sells Connect insurance to Costco customers. Connect, based in De Pere, Wisconsin, sells different types of insurance like auto, condo, home, renters, and umbrella insurance.
Types of Car Insurance Coverage
This insurance helps if you accidentally harm others or damage their property while driving. It also covers legal costs if you get sued due to an accident. Most states require you to have liability insurance.
This type of insurance pays for repairing or replacing your car if it’s damaged by things like hail, theft, vandalism, fire, floods, or if you collide with animals. The most it pays is your car’s actual cash value minus your deductible.
Collision insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car after an accident, no matter who is at fault. It also includes accidents with stationary objects like guardrails or trees. This coverage is usually required if you finance or lease your car.
This insurance helps if a driver without enough or no liability insurance hits you. It covers your medical costs and other expenses. Some states make it mandatory, while in others, it’s optional.
PIP covers your medical expenses and those of your passengers, regardless of who caused the accident. It’s required in some states, optional in others, and not available in some.
Also known as “medical payments” or “MedPay,” this insurance covers medical bills for you and your passengers, regardless of fault. It’s usually available in small amounts between $1,000 and $5,000 and may not be offered in all states.
What Does Connect Car Insurance Cover?
Connect car insurance has some extra coverage options, like replacing your new car if it gets totaled. However, it doesn’t include certain features that other insurers might offer, such as a decreasing deductible or rideshare insurance.
Accident Forgiveness: Yes, Connect provides accident forgiveness insurance. This means your rates won’t go up if you have an at-fault accident, as long as you meet certain conditions. For instance, you need to have a clean driving record for the three years leading up to the policy renewal.
New Car Replacement Insurance: Connect offers new car replacement insurance as an add-on. If your new car (within the first year or with fewer than 15,000 miles) is damaged or totaled, Connect will replace it with a new one, up to 110% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.
Gap Insurance: Connect provides gap insurance, covering up to 120% of your vehicle’s value. This type of insurance bridges the gap between what you owe on your car loan or lease and the depreciated value of your car if it’s totaled in a covered accident.
Diminishing Deductible: Connect does not offer a diminishing deductible, which is a feature some companies have. This feature reduces your deductible for each accident-free policy period.
SR-22s: Usually, Connect doesn’t offer SR-22 insurance. However, in some states where required by law, Connect may provide an SR-22 for eligible drivers who need it due to serious traffic violations or other reasons.
Usage-Based Insurance: Connect doesn’t sell usage-based insurance. Some companies calculate your rate based on driving habits, giving discounts for safe driving.
Pay-Per-Mile Insurance: Connect does not offer pay-per-mile insurance. Some insurers charge based on the miles you drive, which can be beneficial for low-mileage drivers.
Rideshare Insurance: Connect doesn’t offer rideshare insurance. This type of coverage helps fill the gap between your personal car insurance and the coverage provided by rideshare companies if you drive for services like Lyft or Uber.
Connect’s Auto Insurance Discounts
When you’re looking for car insurance, it’s a good idea to ask about discounts that can help you save money. Here are some discounts that Connect offers:
- Connect Good Driver Discount (California only): Safe drivers in California who avoid at-fault accidents and traffic violations can qualify for a discount.
- Defensive Driver Discount: Taking a defensive driving course approved by your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles or an accredited organization may earn you a discount.
- Garaging Discount: You could get a discount if you park your car in a garage overnight. Note that this discount may not be available in all locations.
- Good Student Discount: Full-time students meeting specific requirements, such as maintaining a “B” average, making the honor roll or Dean’s list, or being in the upper 20% of their class, can qualify for a discount.
- Multi-Car Discount: If you insure multiple cars on one policy, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Multi-Product Discount: Purchasing other types of insurance from Connect, such as business, condo, home, renters, or umbrella insurance, can qualify you for a discount.
- Premier Safety Driver: Drivers who go four years without traffic violations, accidents, or claims can qualify for a discount.
- Student Away Discount: If your student driver attends school at least 100 miles away from your home and leaves their car at home while at school, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Tenure Discount: The longer you stay insured with Connect, the more you can earn discounted rates.
- Vehicle Safety Discount: If your vehicle has safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, and automatic seatbelts, you may qualify for savings.
Other Types of Insurance from Connect
- All-terrain vehicles (ATV)
- Business (sold through Midvale Insurance, a Connect affiliate)
- Classic car insurance
- Rental property
Connect Car Insurance Pros & Cons
- New Car Replacement Coverage: You receive coverage for replacing your new car during the first year of ownership when you purchase gap insurance.
- Stolen-Key Expense Coverage: Comprehensive coverage includes an added benefit for covering expenses related to stolen keys.
- Accident Travel Expense Coverage: Provides assistance in covering out-of-pocket expenses if you’re in an accident more than 100 miles away from your home.
- No Usage-Based Insurance Program: Connect does not offer a program that tracks and rewards safe driving behavior through usage-based insurance.
- No Rideshare Insurance: Connect does not provide insurance specifically designed for rideshare drivers, leaving a potential gap in coverage if you drive for services like Lyft or Uber.
Connect car insurance is a type of insurance offered by American Family Insurance. It comes with some extra benefits in addition to the usual coverage options. One good thing about Connect is that if you decide to get gap insurance, you also get coverage for replacing your new car during the first year you own it. This can be handy if something happens to your new ride.
However, it’s worth mentioning that Connect has received more complaints than the average insurance company. This means that some people who used their services were not very happy. So, if you’re thinking about choosing Connect, it’s a good idea to check out what others are saying and think about whether those complaints might be a concern for you.
Before you decide on Connect car insurance, it’s smart to look into customer reviews, understand exactly what the insurance covers, and compare it with other options to make sure it’s the right fit for you.