Dairyland started in 1953 and providing car insurance to drivers with issues like bad driving records, little driving experience, or no previous insurance. In 1966, Sentry Insurance bought Dairyland and started offering motorcycle insurance. Dairyland, based in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, provides car and motorcycle insurance all across the country. Best Car Insurance Companies in 2024
Dairyland Car Insurance Coverage
This insurance helps if you accidentally harm others or damage their property while driving. It also covers legal costs if you get sued due to an accident. Most states require you to have liability insurance.
This type of insurance pays for repairing or replacing your car if it’s damaged by things like hail, theft, vandalism, fire, floods, or if you collide with animals. The most it pays is your car’s actual cash value minus your deductible.
Collision insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car after an accident, no matter who is at fault. It also includes accidents with stationary objects like guardrails or trees. This coverage is usually required if you finance or lease your car.
This insurance helps if a driver without enough or no liability insurance hits you. It covers your medical costs and other expenses. Some states make it mandatory, while in others, it’s optional.
PIP covers your medical expenses and those of your passengers, regardless of who caused the accident. It’s required in some states, optional in others, and not available in some.
Also known as “medical payments” or “MedPay,” this insurance covers medical bills for you and your passengers, regardless of fault. It’s usually available in small amounts between $1,000 and $5,000 and may not be offered in all states.
What Does Dairyland Car Insurance Cover?
Dairyland car insurance provides gap insurance and SR-22 forms. However, if you’re looking for extras like accident forgiveness, a diminishing deductible, or rideshare insurance, you’ll need to check with other companies.
Accident Forgiveness: No, Dairyland doesn’t offer accident forgiveness insurance. Some companies let you add this coverage to your policy to protect you from increased costs after an accident.
Diminishing Deductible: No, Dairyland doesn’t offer a diminishing deductible. Some companies sell it as an add-on, reducing your deductible each year you drive without an accident. Some companies limit the reduction, while others allow you to bring it down to $0.
Gap Insurance: Yes, Dairyland does offer gap insurance. This coverage helps bridge the gap between what you owe on your car’s lease or loan and the claim payout if your car is totaled.
New Car Replacement: No, Dairyland doesn’t sell new car replacement insurance. This type usually reimburses you for a new car if yours is deemed a total loss, covering the cost difference between the old and new.
SR-22s: Yes, Dairyland offers SR-22 insurance. It’s also known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, a court-ordered form showing you’ve met the state’s minimum insurance requirements. You might need an SR-22 for various reasons, such as a DUI conviction or driving without insurance.
Rideshare Insurance: No, Dairyland doesn’t sell rideshare insurance. If you drive for companies like Lyft or Uber, you might need additional coverage to bridge the gap between personal and rideshare insurance.
Usage-Based Insurance: No, Dairyland doesn’t sell usage-based insurance (UBI). Some companies use driving habits to calculate costs, offering discounts for safe driving.
Pay-Per-Mile Insurance: No, Dairyland doesn’t offer pay-per-mile insurance. This type bases costs on the miles you drive, often suitable for low-mileage drivers. Insurers charge a daily rate plus a mileage rate to calculate your insurance cost.
Dairyland’s Auto Insurance Discounts
Dairyland offers various discounts that you may be eligible for. Here are some of them:
- Advanced Quote Discount: Request a car insurance quote at least a week before your current policy expires, and you could receive a discount.
- Anti-Theft Discounts: If your car is equipped with an anti-theft device, you may qualify for a discount.
- Defensive Driving Discount: Take an approved defensive driving course to earn a discount on your car insurance.
- Homeowners Insurance Discount: If you own a home with insurance, you could be eligible for a discount. Some states also offer a discount if you have renters insurance.
- Multi-Car Discount: Insure more than one car on your policy and receive a discount.
- Payment Frequency Discount: Opt for quarterly, semi-annual, or annual premium payments to qualify for a discount on your car insurance.
- Transfer Discount: If you’ve had a car insurance policy with another insurer for at least six months, you may receive a discount when you switch to Dairyland. This discount may still apply even if you’ve had a small lapse in coverage (you’ll need to provide a copy of your most recent declarations page).
Dairyland Pros and Cons
- Suitable for drivers with a poor driving record or those who are inexperienced.
- No filing fee for an SR-22, making it more affordable for drivers who need this form.
- Provides non-owner car insurance for individuals without personal vehicles.
- Offers a special equipment coverage add-on, protecting custom parts like rims and stereo systems.
- Higher complaint levels compared to the industry average.
- Lack of a usage-based insurance program, which could limit opportunities for cost reduction based on driving habits.
- Absence of rideshare insurance, potentially leaving gaps in coverage for those who drive for services like Uber or Lyft.
- Received a C grade from the CRASH Network for collision claim procedures, indicating room for improvement in this aspect.
Dairyland Car Insurance is good for drivers who may have trouble getting coverage elsewhere, especially those with poor driving records or little driving experience. While they offer certain benefits like no filing fee for SR-22 and special equipment coverage, it’s important to be aware of the higher complaint level compared to the industry average. It is good idea to compare Car insurance quotes with multiple companies.