The General, a company in Nashville, focuses on providing cheap car insurance to drivers who may be considered risky. These are people who have a record of breaking driving rules, don’t have good credit score, or have not kept their insurance up to date.
The General Car Insurance companies sort drivers into different two categories:
- “Standard” car insurance is for drivers who are good and average at driving.
- “Nonstandard car insurance” is for high-risk drivers. People in this group often have to pay more for insurance. This is because insurance companies think that high-risk drivers are more likely to ask for money if something happens, so they charge them more to cover the higher risk.
The General car insurance in every state in the United States and also in Washington, D.C. It works as an insurance agency and offers price estimates from three car insurance companies that are connected or affiliated with it.
- Permanent General Assurance Corp.
- Permanent General Assurance Corp. of Ohio
- The General Automobile Insurance Co.
The General Car Insurance : Contact Details
Customer Car Number – 1-844-328-0306
- Monday – Thursday: 7 AM ‑ 9 PM CT
- Friday: 7 AM – 8 PM CT
- Saturday: 8 AM – 4 PM CT
- 2636 Elm Hill Pike, Suite 510
- Nashville, Tennessee 37214
Claims Department Contacts – 1-800-280-1466
- Report a new claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- For existing claims Timing :Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm (local time).
- 6000 American Parkway
- Madison, WI 53783‑0001
The General Car Insurance Coverage
The General offers the standard types of car insurance coverage that you can find in most insurance companies. In addition, they provide extra types of coverage like protection for custom car equipment, roadside assistance, and coverage for accidental death and funeral expenses.
Liability Car Insurance
Liability auto insurance covers the costs of injuries or property damage caused by you in a car accident. This coverage applies to you, your spouse, and any relatives living in your household. In many states, it’s mandatory for drivers to have at least a minimum amount of liability car insurance.
Comprehensive insurance takes care of the expenses for damage to your car that didn’t happen because of a collision. This includes things like damage from floods, hail, fires, vandalism, objects falling on your car, hitting animals, and even theft.
Collision and comprehensive car insurance are not usually mandatory, but they are often required if you have a car loan. Both types of insurance come with a deductible, which is an amount you need to pay before the insurance coverage starts. They provide compensation for damages up to the current value of your vehicle if it’s either totaled or stolen, minus the deductible you’ve chosen.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance
This coverage pays for your injuries, and sometimes the damage to your vehicle, if you’re in an accident caused by a driver who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the costs. It applies to you, your family members, and anyone else who was in your car during the accident. While uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory in some states, it’s not required everywhere.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal injury protection insurance is mandatory in certain states and is available as an option in others. This type of insurance covers medical expenses for you and your passengers if you’re injured in an accident, regardless of who is at fault for the accident.
Medical Payments Insurance (MedPay)
Medical payments coverage, also known as MedPay, covers medical expenses incurred by you, your family members, or passengers as a result of a car accident, regardless of who caused the accident. This can include costs like ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgery, and nursing services.
Additional Options in The General Car Insurance
Here are some additional car insurance options and what they cover:
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: This service provides emergency help if your car breaks down. It includes services like towing, jump-starting a dead battery, delivering gas, and assisting with lock-outs.
- Accidental Death: If you die in an accident covered by your insurance policy, this coverage provides a payment to your family.
- Custom Equipment: If you have collision and comprehensive coverage, you can add up to $5,000 of coverage for customized car accessories like wheels, fog lights, or camper shells.
- Funeral Costs: This covers “reasonable and necessary” expenses for funerals, burials, or cremations if an insured driver dies from injuries within 24 months of a covered accident.
- Hospital Indemnity Plan: An optional add-on that offers up to $10,000 for accidental death or dismemberment, $1,000 for medical expenses, and $125 per day for hospitalization-related costs for up to one year. Administered through Nations Safe Driver.
- Rental and Transportation: If your car is not driveable due to a covered accident, this benefit helps pay for a rental car or other transportation costs. You need to have comprehensive and collision coverage to purchase this rental coverage.
- Towing: Covers the cost of towing your vehicle. However, you must also have comprehensive and collision coverage for this to apply.
These are additional features you can include in your car insurance policy to provide extra protection and services beyond the basic coverage.
The General Car Insurance Cost for Drivers
The General Car Insurance Cost for Good Drivers in Arizona
Drivers in Arizona who have a clean driving history might discover that The General offers higher insurance rates when compared to leading competitors in the industry.
|Company||Average cost in Arizona (Good Drivers)|
The General Car Insurance Cost for Drivers With a Speeding Ticket in Arizona
If you receive a speeding ticket in Arizona, it’s probable that your car insurance expenses will increase. In such a situation, The General car insurance may not be the most cost-effective choice for insurance coverage.
|Company||Average cost for drivers with a speeding ticket in Arizona|
The General Car Insurance Cost for Drivers : Accident With an Injury in Arizona
Drivers who are responsible for a car accident that leads to injuries to other people can expect their insurance rates to rise. In such cases, The General’s rates are often considerably higher when compared to leading competitors in the insurance market.
|Company||Average cost for drivers who caused an accident with injury in Arizona|
The General Car Insurance Cost for Drivers With a DUI in Arizona
Getting a DUI conviction in Arizona can lead to significantly higher car insurance costs. Although The General may offer competitive rates for drivers with a DUI compared to some other insurance companies, it’s still possible to find a more affordable car insurance policy elsewhere.
|Company||Average cost for drivers with a DUI in Arizona|
The General Car Insurance Cost for Drivers With Poor Credit in Arizona
Having a poor credit score can indeed lead to very high car insurance rates. That’s why it’s crucial to explore different insurance options and shop around. By comparing rates from various insurance providers, you may find cheap coverage options even if you have a bad credit score. It’s a good practice to regularly review and compare your insurance options to ensure you’re getting the best coverage at the most competitive rates available to you.
|Company||Average cost for drivers with poor credit in Arizona|
The General Car Insurance :Pros and Cons
If you’re in trouble to finding cheap car insurance because of your driving history or bad credit, you can think about going with The General. But, if you don’t have those issues, it’s probably not a good idea to choose The General for car insurance because a lot of people have complained about their service.
- The General provides SR-22 filings, which are needed by some drivers to show their state that they have enough insurance.
- They focus on helping drivers who are considered high-risk and might struggle to find affordable insurance.
- They have a mobile app and an online customer portal that lets you handle your account, submit claims, and make payments.
- Many people have complained to state insurance departments about their car insurance from The General.
- If you’re interested in benefits like accident forgiveness or deductibles that decrease over time, you’ll need to explore other insurance companies.
- The General doesn’t provide usage-based insurance, which can help safe drivers save money based on how they drive.
- They also don’t offer new car replacement coverage.
Complaints Against The General Car Insurance
Companies that provide insurance of The General have a higher rate of car insurance complaints compared to the insurance industry average. In some cases, one of these companies has more than double the industry average in terms of complaints. This suggests that customers may have experienced more issues or concerns when dealing with insurance providers associated with The General. It’s essential for consumers to consider these factors when choosing an insurance company and to research customer satisfaction and complaint records before making a decision.
Types of Discounts in The General Car Insurance
The General offers various discounts to help you save money. One of these discounts is called the “double deductible” discount. It reduces your insurance cost if you agree to pay twice as much for your deductible for the first 45 days of your coverage. After that period, your insurance rate and deductible return to their original amounts.
Other discounts are available for:
- Making an upfront payment of six- or 12-month policies.
- Insuring more than one vehicle with The General.
- Having homeowners insurance, no matter the insurance company.
- Having had insurance with a previous company for at least five years.
- Earning good grades.
- Completing a defensive driving course.
- Establishing a record of safe driving.
- Active military members in Louisiana.
- Seatbelts and airbags.
Types of Insurance available in The General
In addition to providing car insurance, The General can also help connect consumers who are looking for other types of coverage with external companies, whether they are affiliated with The General or not. These other types of coverage include:
What Does The General Car Insurance Cover?
The General may not provide certain optional coverage types that you can find with other insurance companies. However, The General specializes in offering SR-22 insurance, which some insurers do not provide. SR-22 insurance is required for certain high-risk drivers, and The General can assist with this process.
Does The General Offer SR-22 Insurance?
Yes, If you need an SR-22 form, you can inform getting the general car insurance quotes from the companies and they will include the form with your policy documents once you buy coverage.
The rates mentioned are calculated for a specific scenario: a 40-year-old female driver with a clean driving history, insuring a new Toyota RAV4. The insurance coverage includes $100,000 for bodily injury liability per person, $300,000 per accident, and $100,000 for property damage liability (referred to as 100/300/100). This coverage also includes uninsured motorist protection and any other coverage that the state requires. Additionally, collision and comprehensive insurance are part of the package, with a deductible of $500. The information source for these rates is Quadrant Information Services.